History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spencer Cottage spencer House

A Grade II Listed Building in Melsonby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4711 / 54°28'16"N

Longitude: -1.6979 / 1°41'52"W

OS Eastings: 419677

OS Northings: 508458

OS Grid: NZ196084

Mapcode National: GBR JJLR.60

Mapcode Global: WHC60.WWN7

Entry Name: Spencer Cottage spencer House

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131892

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323390

Location: Melsonby, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Melsonby

Built-Up Area: Melsonby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Melsonby

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Lucy Cross

Listing Text

MELSONBY WEST ROAD
NZ 1808-1908 (south side)

12/174 No 37 (Spencer House) and
Spencer Cottage
4.2.69
- II

2 houses, now 1, and attached stable with loft, now incorporated into house,
and cottage. Mid-late C18, with early-mid C19 and C20 additions. Coursed
sandstone, pantile roof. U-shaped plan, with main range and two rear
ranges. 2 storeys, 6 bays, the first having been added in 1908, and the
next two in the early-mid C19, although the overall impression is of a
unified design. Quoins at ends, between first and second, and third and
fourth bays. In fourth bay, a 6-panel door in ashlar architrave with bases,
pulvinated frieze and cornice. Blocked door, now window, on ground floor in
second bay. Sash windows with glazing bars, with ashlar projecting sills
and deep lintels in first bay, and with architraves in other bays. Brick
stepped eaves. Shaped kneelers, ashlar copings. Rebuilt brick stacks at
ends and between third and fourth bays. Rear: plain ashlar surrounds to
openings. Left return: C20 metal framed casement windows. Former stable,
now part of house, to rear left, linked by C20 flat-roofed linking block
(not of special interest) has quoins, and from left, board door, paired
part-glazed doors, C20 window, raised verges with reversed crowstepping, and
on left return, external stone steps up to board door to loft. Interior: in
ground-floor room to far right, fielded panel doors and shutters, panelling
and egg-and-dart motif cornice; staircase with column-on-vase balusters, the
alternate balusters removed; in first-floor room to far right, fielded
panelling and dentil cornice. Set into the architrave of the front door to
left and right are cast-iron bell-pushes, one marked 'NIGHT' and the other
'VISITORS', which survive from the period in the C19 when the house was
occupied by a doctor.


Listing NGR: NZ1967708458

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.