History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4411 / 54°26'27"N

Longitude: -1.7202 / 1°43'12"W

OS Eastings: 418243

OS Northings: 505112

OS Grid: NZ182051

Mapcode National: GBR JKF2.CR

Mapcode Global: WHC66.KM2R

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Last Amended: 21 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131911

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323330

Location: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Gilling with Hartforth and Sed

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Gilling St Agatha

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Gilling

Listing Text

NZ 1805-1905
GILLING WITH HARTFORTH
AND SEDBURY
14/116
4.2.69

HIGH STREET
(west side)
Gilling West
The Old Vicarage
(formerly listed as The
Vicarage)

GV
II

Vicarage, now house. c1807. For William Hall. Coursed rubble, artificial
stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Plinth. Quoins. Central 6-panel
door below fanlight with decorative glazing bars in ashlar doorcase within
Tuscan distyle portico of 2 columns in front, 2 pilasters behind, supporting
cornice with blocking course. Sash windows with glazing bars, stone lintels
and raised sills. Ashlar coping. A broad ridge stack towards each end.
Rear (south): as the front, but with central part-glazed 6-panel door in
architrave with ashlar surround, frieze and pediment. Interior:
cantilevered stone open well staircase with moulded nosing and wreathed
handrail. This was the church's first vicarage. It is said to have been
built by Hall (who took the name Wharton) in 1807 when he married Charlotte
Dundas of the neighbouring estate at Aske in order to please his future
father-in-law. Extensive servants' quarters at the west end were mostly
demolished in 1967. Laybourn K, Historical Notes on the Parish Church of
Gilling West, North Yorkshire, (1979), pp 7, 8, 12, 14.


Listing NGR: NZ1824305112

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.