History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cow Byre at North East End of Paddock Plantation

A Grade II Listed Building in Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.435 / 54°26'5"N

Longitude: -1.6957 / 1°41'44"W

OS Eastings: 419835

OS Northings: 504439

OS Grid: NZ198044

Mapcode National: GBR JKL4.PY

Mapcode Global: WHC66.XSPF

Entry Name: Cow Byre at North East End of Paddock Plantation

Listing Date: 21 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131921

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323358

Location: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Gilling with Hartforth and Sed

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Gilling St Agatha

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Gilling

Listing Text

GILLING WITH HARTFORTH SEDBURY PARK
NZ 1804-1904 AND SEDBURY

15/143 Cow Byre at north-east
end of Paddock Plantation

GV II

Cow byre. Late C18 - early C19. Possibly by John Foss of Richmond.
Roughcast rubble with ashlar dressings, stone slate and corrugated sheet
roofs. Of 1 and 2 storeys, 1:1:1 bays. North elevation: central bay of 2
storeys, slightly projecting; pointed-arched doorway of 2 orders, first-
floor band, blind ashlar quatrefoil above; ashlar crenellated coping to
pitched gable. Single-storey outer bays, each with an ashlar vent in form
of loop-hole; straight parapet to right masking monopitch roof, parapet
missing to left. South elevation: central bay of 2 storeys, slightly
projecting; with pointed-arched doorway flanked by ashlar loop-hole vents,
first-floor vent; blind ashlar quatrefoil above; ashlar crenellated coping
mostly missing; doorway in left bay, parapet missing; wall fallen in right
bay. Interior: central range of 3 internal bays with 2 queen-strut roof
trusses; first floor removed. Western range has partial corrugated sheet
roof. Eastern range is partly ruinous. The building was clearly designed
to complement, but be subservient to, The Rock folly on the hillside above
(qv).


Listing NGR: NZ1983504439

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.