History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rock

A Grade II Listed Building in Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4365 / 54°26'11"N

Longitude: -1.6931 / 1°41'35"W

OS Eastings: 420001

OS Northings: 504607

OS Grid: NZ200046

Mapcode National: GBR JKM4.7D

Mapcode Global: WHC66.YRX8

Entry Name: The Rock

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Last Amended: 21 May 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131922

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323359

Location: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Gilling with Hartforth and Sed

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Gilling St Agatha

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Gilling

Listing Text

GILLING WITH HARTFORTH SEDBURY PARK
NZ 20 SW1904 AND SEDBURY
NZ1804-1904
9/144 The Rock
15/144 (formerly listed as The
Folly, Sedbury Park)
4.2.69
GV II

Folly. Dated 1795. By John Foss of Richmond for the D'Arcy Hutton family.
Coursed rubble sandstone. 2-storey circular tower enclosed by octagonal
single-storey base from which side-walls extend along the top of the outcrop
of rock upon which it is built. The base contained the staircase, but is
now partly collapsed; each side had a blind pointed-arched window, the
voussoirs alternately rusticated, and had battlemented parapet, all now
gone. Tower has 4 pointed-arched openings with matching voussoirs; similar
treatment to course of stone next but one below eaves band, and with water-
spout to south-west, former battlemented parapet gone. Side walls, now
partly collapsed, had pointed-arched openings, one surviving in north wall,
and battlemented parapet (now gone). Interior: upper room of ashlar, and
with saucer dome; "RDH 1797" inscribed on lintel above north-east window.
York Georgian Society, Annual Report, 1977, pp 40-41.


Listing NGR: NZ2000104607

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.