This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4416 / 54°26'29"N
Longitude: -1.7187 / 1°43'7"W
OS Eastings: 418341
OS Northings: 505168
OS Grid: NZ183051
Mapcode National: GBR JKF2.PL
Mapcode Global: WHC66.KMSC
Entry Name: The Curtain
Listing Date: 21 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323309
Location: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Gilling with Hartforth and Sed
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Gilling St Agatha
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
GILLING WITH HARTFORTH HIGH STREET
NZ 1805-1905 AND SEDBURY (east side)
14/95 The Curtain
3 cottages, now 2 houses. Probably C14, with many later alterations.
Rubble sandstone, C20 pantile roof with stone slates at eaves. 2 storeys, 6
first-floor windows to south. Quoins. Ground floor, from left: scar of
blocked fire window; part of blocked round-arched doorway; C20 pent-roofed
porch with casement window; three C20 casement windows. First floor:
blocked chamfered fire window surround; five C20 casement windows. Coping
to right. 2 brick ridge stacks. Rear: head of C13 type window, with 2
pointed arches, and traces of a similar window. Right return: 2 blocked
pointed-arched windows; gable with reversed crowstepping. The name of the
building is thought to derive from the Latin cortem, meaning a yard or
enclosure, which gives the English legal term curtilage. The French word
cortaine, from the same root, implies a monastic enclosure. It has been
suggested that The Curtain, and the Angel Inn, to which it is attached, were
once a small monastic house, as early architectural fragments have been
noted when various alterations have been carried out in the past, and that
The Curtain was the chapel, with a south door and east window. In the C18
and early C19, The Curtain was used as a mail house when the Angel was an
important coaching inn and mailing station, and converted into 3 cottages
after the mail had transferred to the railways. Laybourn K, Historical
Notes on the Parish Church of Gilling West, North Yorkshire, (1979), pp 3-4.
Listing NGR: NZ1835205168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings