History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldbrough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4998 / 54°29'59"N

Longitude: -1.685 / 1°41'6"W

OS Eastings: 420496

OS Northings: 511648

OS Grid: NZ204116

Mapcode National: GBR JJND.ZR

Mapcode Global: WHC61.25W7

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 16 June 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131953

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323227

Location: Aldbrough, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Aldbrough

Built-Up Area: Aldbrough St John

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Aldbrough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Lucy Cross

Listing Text

ALDBROUGH LUCY CROSS ROAD
NZ 2011-2111 (east side)
11/15 Aldbrough St John
11/15 Manor Farmhouse
16.6.78
GV II

Farmhouse. Dated 1831. For the Duke of Northumberland. Sandstone rubble
with ashlar dressings, artificial stone slate roofs. Cruciform plan, 2
storeys and loft, 2:1:2 bays, Jacobethan style. Chamfered plinth. Quoins
with herringbone tooling and draughted margins. First-floor moulded sill
string. Mullion windows with hoodmoulds. In angle to left of central
projecting front wing, single-storey flat-roofed porch with part-glazed
vertical-panelled door in moulded surround with shouldered lintel and
hoodmould; cornice carrying ashlar parapet with moulded coping; single-light
window in left return. Matching single-storey projection in angle to right,
with single-light window. Central wing: 3-light windows, with transom on
first floor, and in gable above small light vent which retains the original
diamond glazing; 2-light window on ground floor of left and right returns.
Left range: 3-light window on ground floor; cross windows on first floor,
that above porch with original diamond glazing. Right range: 2-light
windows on ground floor; cross windows on first floor. Ashlar coping to end
and central gables. Paired ashlar octagonal chimneys over "crossing" and at
right end. Rear: steps up to first-floor part-glazed door in chamfered
surround to lower cross wing; lean-to in angle with wing, several lead
fluted rainwater heads. Left return: 2-light window on ground floor, single
light on gable. Interior: a roof timber has painted on it the date August
1831. This farm complex was the earliest of several in the area built by
the Duke of Northumberland. It was originally called Lucy Cross Farm (which
name is given on old Ordnance Survey maps), which is probably why the plan
chosen by the Duke was cruciform. (Lucy Cross was the name of a coaching
inn on the old Great North Road, and a destination of one section of
turnpike road.)


Listing NGR: NZ2049611648

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.