History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldbrough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.496 / 54°29'45"N

Longitude: -1.6884 / 1°41'18"W

OS Eastings: 420281

OS Northings: 511233

OS Grid: NZ202112

Mapcode National: GBR JJNG.82

Mapcode Global: WHC61.1893

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131957

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323235

Location: Aldbrough, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Aldbrough

Built-Up Area: Aldbrough St John

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Aldbrough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Lucy Cross

Listing Text

ALDBROUGH THE VILLAGE
NZ 2011-2111 (east side)

Aldbrough St John
11/23 Church of St Paul
4.2.69
GV II

Chapel of ease. 1890. By W S Hicks for Eleanor, the dowager Duchess of
Northumberland. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate
roof. Early English style. 3-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with
cnoir and clergy vestries to north and south. Plinths. Quoins. Moulded
sill strings. Porch: pointed-arched doorway with moulded arris and
hoodmould; gable with apex cross; paired lancet windows in side returns;
inner doorway matching. Nave: to right of porch: lancet; buttress, paired
lancets. On left gable, octagonal bell turret with shouldered openings to
south, west, north and east, and with spirelet; gable cross to right. West
end of nave: tall lancet set in buttress which supports the bell turret.
Chancel: lancet window to right, gable cross to right; to left, lean-to
vestry with smaller paired lancets. East end: stepped buttresses flanking
triple stepped lancet windows with hoodmould. Interior: chancel arch of 2
chamfered orders, the capitals with nailhead decoration; arches to vestries
are continuously moulded, chamfered and with hoodmoulds; lancet windows have
shouldered heads; the chancel south lancet continues down to form sedile;
trefoil-headed aumbry in sanctuary; stencilled decoration on boarding of
roofs of nave and chancel.


Listing NGR: NZ2028111233

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.