This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3168 / 54°19'0"N
Longitude: -2.2054 / 2°12'19"W
OS Eastings: 386735
OS Northings: 491270
OS Grid: SD867912
Mapcode National: GBR FL1J.B9
Mapcode Global: WHB5F.3R2H
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary and Saint John
Listing Date: 25 March 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131972
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323173
Location: High Abbotside, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: High Abbotside
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
HIGH ABBOTSIDE HARDROW
SD 89 SE
7/148 Church of Saint Mary and
Church. 1879-81. By R H Carpenter for the Earl of Wharncliffe. Coursed
sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof. Nave with
west bellcote and south porch, chancel with north vestry, 4:2 bays. Porch:
pointed-arched doorway of 2 chamfered orders dying into rounded responds.
Above, in gable, trefoiled niche. Inner doorway: neo-Romanesque, 1 order
with water-leaf capitals. Nave windows: paired lancets with quatrefoil above
in plate tracery. Chancel: 2 trefoiled lights; priest's doorway matching
that of porch; 1 trefoiled light. Copings. Gable crosses. East window of
3 stepped lancets. North windows: single lights. West window: 2 trefoiled
lights with sexfoil above. Neo-Romanesque 2-light bellcote. Interior:
Early English-style chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders. Vestry screen C17,
panelled with fluted frieze. Plaque in vestry recording C18 grants from
Queen Anne's Bounty. In nave, brass of Alice Stuart, d 1788.
Listing NGR: SD8673591270
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings