History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thornton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Thornton Rust, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2953 / 54°17'43"N

Longitude: -2.043 / 2°2'34"W

OS Eastings: 397298

OS Northings: 488857

OS Grid: SD972888

Mapcode National: GBR GL5S.H0

Mapcode Global: WHB5P.L9CG

Entry Name: Thornton Hall

Listing Date: 25 March 1969

Last Amended: 9 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131981

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323206

Location: Thornton Rust, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Thornton Rust

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Askrigg

Listing Text

THORNTON RUST VILLAGE STREET
SD 98 NE
(south side)
14/177
Thornton Hall (formerly
25.3.69 listed as Thornton House)
- II
Large house. Dated 1672, with early-C18, early C19 and later alterations and
extensions. Formerly the seat of the Chapman family. Rubble with ashlar
dressings, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, irregular plan of spine with cross
wings. North front: 1:2:1. Chamfered rusticated quoins. In centre, to left:
part-glazed door in sandstone ashlar surround with splayed bases, eared and
richly-moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze and modillioned cornice. Above, a
sash window with glazing bars. To right, 1 bay of tripartite sash windows.
Gutter brackets. Left wing: 16-pane sash windows. Right wing: paired sash
windows. Kneelers and copings. Corniced ashlar stacks on gables of cross-
wings, and in centre of spine. To right, recessed wing with segmental-arched
opening, now window, and glazed door in keyed surround; and on first floor,
2 sash windows with glazing bars under segmental arches of ashlar voussoirs and
keystones. Rear elevation: in centre, projecting 2-storey porch with 4-panel
M
door in quoined surround with moulded arris, "1672 G C" inscribed on lintel,
FC
and added inscription "1706". Elaborate hood-mould with decorative motifs on
drops. Above, C18 round-arched window, flanked by small triangular-headed
windows. Flat-topped gable with ball finials above kneelers. To left: 4 fire
windows with chamfered ashlar surrounds and later openings. Gutter brackets.
To right: 3 small pointed-arched blind openings in gable. Interior: segmental-
arched fireplace of original main room.


Listing NGR: SD9729888857

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.