This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2775 / 54°16'39"N
Longitude: -2.139 / 2°8'20"W
OS Eastings: 391048
OS Northings: 486885
OS Grid: SD910868
Mapcode National: GBR FLHZ.QD
Mapcode Global: WHB5N.3RQ4
Entry Name: Carr End with Attached Screen Wall
Listing Date: 9 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132022
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323095
Location: Bainbridge, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bainbridge
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
BAINBRIDGE MARSETT LANE
SD 98 NW
13/73 Carr End with attached
Farmhouse, now 2 houses, and attached screen wall. Late C17, with late
C18 - early C19 alterations. Rubble, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 first-
floor windows, wall projecting at right angles from left-hand end. House:
between bays 3 and 4, part-glazed door in ashlar surround. To left, sash
windows with glazing bars, in ashlar surrounds on ground floor, and in
architraves on first floor. To right, 1 bay of tripartite sash windows in
ashlar surround. To far left, blank bay. Stacks at ends, to left and
between bays 1 and 2. Rear elevation: Venetian window to landing on
staircase. Right return: projecting chimneybreast. Interior: in sitting
room to left, panelled shutters, early C18 panelled cupboard door next to
fireplace, stop-chamfered beams and joists. Dining room to right: Regency
6-panel doors and deal panelling. Cantilevered stone geometrical staircase.
Screen wall has board door in ashlar surround and 2 different decorative
lintels, both inscribed "IF : 1667" (John Fothergill). The Fothergill
family were Quakers, and meetings were held at the house before the building
of Countersett Meeting House (qv). Dr John Fothergill, an eminent physician
and author of medical treatises, was born here in 1712 (died 1780). The
name of the house refers to the end of Semer Water, a lake, or carr, in
dialect. Bulmer, History, Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire,
(1890), p 341.
Listing NGR: SD9104886885
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings