History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Gargrave, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9812 / 53°58'52"N

Longitude: -2.1052 / 2°6'18"W

OS Eastings: 393195

OS Northings: 453911

OS Grid: SD931539

Mapcode National: GBR FQRD.0L

Mapcode Global: WHB76.M6Q8

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132086

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324938

Location: Gargrave, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Gargrave

Built-Up Area: Gargrave

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Gargrave St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Gargrave

Listing Text

GARGRAVE CHURCH STREET
SD 95 SW (east side)

5/62 Church of St Andrew

10.9.54

GV II


Parish Church. West tower probably C16, rest 1852 by Rhode Hawkins. Sandstone
ashlar, yellowish to the tower and red to the remainder. Green slate roofs
except to aisles and tower, of lead. Nave, chancel, west tower, clasping
aisles, and north and south porches. The style is perpendicular throughout.
West tower has diagonal buttresses, battlements and eight pinnacles. Three-
light windows including that to west, which is surmounted by an empty niche with
cresting, below which is an inscription. The aisles are of seven bays and the
chancel is of two, all with 2-light pointed windows, whereas the clerestory has
2-light straight-headed windows. Inside there is a 6-bay arcade and the nave
roof is of an arch braced open type carried on angel corbels. That to the
chancel is similar but enriched. Stained glass throughout, the 3 east windows
and four chancel windows being a set of 1854 by Capronnier of Brussels. Those
in the chancel are of saints, and the remainder show the Resurection Crucifixion
and Baptism.


Listing NGR: SD9319553911

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.