History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ladywell Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Threshfield, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0703 / 54°4'12"N

Longitude: -2.0048 / 2°0'17"W

OS Eastings: 399785

OS Northings: 463813

OS Grid: SD997638

Mapcode National: GBR GPFC.SP

Mapcode Global: WHB6P.5YMK

Entry Name: Ladywell Cottage

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132095

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324863

Location: Threshfield, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Threshfield

Built-Up Area: Grassington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Grassington

Listing Text

THRESHFIELD LINTON ROAD
SD 9863-9963
(east side)
9/106
Ladywell Cottage
10.9.54
GV II
Small house. Early - mid C17. Gritstone rubble, Welsh slate roof. 2
storeys with attic, 2x1 bays. Quoins. Entrance into single-storey C20
range to left, not of special interest. West front: 4-light window with
recessed chamfered straight-cut mullions to ground floor, a 3-and 2-light
window to first floor with hollow mouldings to mullions, all have
hoodmoulds. End stack left; weathered kneelers with gable coping to right.
Rear: single-storey added range has C19 glazed door and a square chamfered
window to left. Left return: slates indicate the wall line and pitch of
an earlier range, now demolished. Right return: recessed chamfered
mullion windows of 4, 3 and 2 lights, one to each floor; the first-floor
window has a tall central light; all have hoodmoulds. Interior not
inspected at resurvey. The house stands near the site of a spring known as
Our Lady's Well, a few yards from the river. Water from it was said to
strengthen weak eyes and remove evil spirits. The formerly adjoining
steep-roofed building was probably cruck-built, and the existing bay added
to it in the C17. A. Speight, Upper Wharfedale 1900, p444.


Listing NGR: SD9978563813

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.