History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fountaines Hospital

A Grade II* Listed Building in Linton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0601 / 54°3'36"N

Longitude: -2.0059 / 2°0'21"W

OS Eastings: 399709

OS Northings: 462683

OS Grid: SD997626

Mapcode National: GBR GPFH.JB

Mapcode Global: WHB6W.561S

Entry Name: Fountaines Hospital

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132124

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324818

Location: Linton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Linton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Grassington

Listing Text

LINTON MAIN STREET
SD 9862-9962
(south side, off)
12/64 Fountaine's Hospital
10.9.54
GV II*
Chapel and almshouses. 1721 by Richard Fountaine, extended to rear late
C19. Ashlar and rubble stone; stone slate roofs. 2 storeys, 7 bays, the
central bay breaks forward slightly and projects as a 2-bay chapel to rear,
the outer bays project 1 bay to front and approximately 3 bays to rear. A
Palladian facade composed of central tower with 8-panel door in a slightly
recessed semi-circular rusticated archway with hollow moulding to surround;
the cornice above forms the base of a wide apron with cornice and semi-
circular headed niche with imposts on broad panelled pilasters. Giant
pilasters flank the doorway and support an entablature with triglyphs and a
massive cornice which breaks forward above the pilasters. The projections
support urn-shaped finials flanking the bellcote with round-arched louvred
opening, panelled pilasters, cornice and lead cupola surmounted by a
weather vane. The flanking 2-bay ranges each have a 6-panel door with 8-
pane overlight and 24-pane sash to ground floor, the door to outside, and
12-pane casements to first floor; these openings are set in Gibbs surrounds
with triple keystones and rusticated jambs; moulded cornice and blocking
course above. Flanking wings: the central window to ground and first floor
as main range but in a moulded architrave; the doorways face inwards and
have projecting surrounds; the corners have clasping pilasters overlain by
projecting quoins matching the Gibbs surrounds and a shallow corniced
pediment. Corniced ridge stack to each wing; tall stacks towards rear,
flanking entrance tower. Rear: the chapel has a south Venetian window
composed of a central round-arched light flanked by lower rectangular
light, in an architrave. The 2 side windows are round-arched, of 5 x 4
lights with fanlight. The rear wings are of rubble, with C19 south
extension on the east wing and refenestration. Interior: the outer door
has enormous strap hinges on its inner side. A small vestibule within the
entrance has a board door to left and right, the strap hinges hung on
pintles. The chapel contains late C19 fittings and a false ceiling
possibly concealing earlier plasterwork. Interior of cottages not
inspected. Richard Fountaine of Linton made a fortune in London and by his
will of July 15,1721 an estate was purchased and the hospital erected on
his estate at Linton; £26 p.a. was to be spent on 6 poor men or women in
the parish and £20 p.a. to the minister, if he resided in the parish, for
reading prayers twice every week. By the early C19 the chapel was in decay
and the foundation apparently subject to corruption. In 1812 new trustees
were appointed and a period of improvement began. The building may have
been designed by William Wakefield, who designed houses from 1713 in a
style close to Vanburgh. T. D. Whitaker, History and Antiquities of the
Deanery of Craven, 1805, reprinted 1973, p550. ~ ~


Listing NGR: SD9970762686

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.