History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Liverpool Warehouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Grassington, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0723 / 54°4'20"N

Longitude: -1.9973 / 1°59'50"W

OS Eastings: 400272

OS Northings: 464040

OS Grid: SE002640

Mapcode National: GBR GPHB.CY

Mapcode Global: WHB6P.9W4Z

Entry Name: Liverpool Warehouse

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Last Amended: 23 June 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132151

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324785

Location: Grassington, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Grassington

Built-Up Area: Grassington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Grassington

Listing Text

GRASSINGTON THE SQUARE
SE 0064-0164
(north side)
8/32 Nos. 7 and 8 (Liverpool
Warehouse) (formerly
listed as the Cafe Royal.)
10.9.54
GV II
Warehouse and general stores, now 3 shops. Early C19, altered to a general
stores in 1848 for William Cockshott. Coursed gritstone rubble, graduated
stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 3-bay main block defined by projecting long
and short quoins; recessed bay to left. Shop entrance between bays 2 and 3
with plain stone surround and shallow triangular pediment, flanked by tall
4-pane sashes in plain stone surrounds, C20 shop frontage left. 1st floor:
four 4-pane sashes, the central pair set close together, similar
arrangements to smaller square casement windows to second floor. Stone
gutter brackets, shaped kneelers, gable copings, ashlar stack right.
Recessed bay left: C20 shop frontage, loading door, now window, to first
floor with square window above. Gutter brackets, kneeler, coping and end
stack as main block. The building was established as a general stores in
1848, a time when the population of Grassington was reaching a maximum as
the improvements in lead mining were completed. The former name,
"Liverpool Warehouse", reflects the source of much of the produce sold,
which was brought to Gargrave via the Leeds-Liverpool Canal which was
completed in 1816. S. Brooks , A History of Grassington, 1979, p53. A.
Raistrick, Old Yorkshire Dales, 1967, p147.


Listing NGR: SE0027264040

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.