History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Darnbrook House

A Grade II Listed Building in Malham Moor, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1309 / 54°7'51"N

Longitude: -2.1565 / 2°9'23"W

OS Eastings: 389870

OS Northings: 470577

OS Grid: SD898705

Mapcode National: GBR FNCN.XX

Mapcode Global: WHB6D.VF8H

Entry Name: Darnbrook House

Listing Date: 20 February 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132165

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324719

Location: Malham Moor, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD24

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Malham Moor

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkby-in-Malhamdale St Michael the Archangel

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Litton

Listing Text

SD 87 SE MALHAM MOOR MALHAM ROAD
SD 8985 7058 (north side)

9/132 Darnbrook House

20.2.58

- II


House. Dated 1664, restored C19. Gritstone rubble, graduated grey slates
to roof front, stone slates to rear. 2 storeys, 3 bays, with single-storey
porch between bays 2 and 3 and a lobby entry plan; a 2-storey, 2-bay added
range with parallel roof to rear bays 1 and 2. Quoins. The porch entrance
has a flat lintel and stone benches; the inner board door is in a deeply
chamfered and slightly cambered archway. A restored square window under
hoodmould, with plain surround and C20 frame to ground floor, bay 1;
otherwise recessed chamfered mullion windows throughout, of 4 and 5 lights
with hoodmoulds flanking the porch; of 2,3 (now 2) and 2 lights to first
floor. Very large corniced ashlar stack to ridge above porch; smaller
ridge stack-far left. Interior: A drawbar survives inside the main
entrance door. A dated lintel, possibly repositioned, with raised
lettering, " I B 1674 M B",is in the opening between the front and rear
ranges of the house. Unless it is repositioned it appears to date the
addition of the 2 rooms, probably service or store rooms. The initials are
of John Buck and his wife, whose family tenanted the farm from Fountains
Abbey and bought it after the Dissolution. A. Raistrick, Malham and Malham
Moor, 1974 (reprinted 1983), p. 102


Listing NGR: SD8987070577

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.