History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garden Wall Gatepiers and Urns Fronting Kildwick Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Kildwick, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9126 / 53°54'45"N

Longitude: -1.9835 / 1°59'0"W

OS Eastings: 401180

OS Northings: 446273

OS Grid: SE011462

Mapcode National: GBR GRL6.C5

Mapcode Global: WHB7G.HXPD

Entry Name: Garden Wall Gatepiers and Urns Fronting Kildwick Hall

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Last Amended: 10 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132171

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324731

Location: Kildwick, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD20

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Kildwick

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kildwick St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Low Bradley

Listing Text

SE 04 NW KILDWICK GRANGE ROAD
(north side)

1/6 Garden wall, gate piers
and urns fronting Kildwick
Hall ( formerly listed with
10.9.54 Justice Room)

GV II

Wall, gate piers with lions, and 4 urns. Lions and urns possibly late C17
for Hugh Currer, probably reset on wall and piers mid C18 for Haworth
Currer or Richard Richardson. Wall of coursed gritstone rubble, piers of
ashlar, lions of limestone, urns probably of gritstone. Wall approximately
65 metres long running between the Justice Room (q.v.) and garden pavilion
(q.v.), approximately 1.5 metres high across the front of the house,
stepping up to over 2 metres high at eastern end. The wall coping is
ridged, with a roll moulding and the flat top interrupted by large square
blocks as bases for the urns. The urns comprise 2 pairs flanking the
gateway; one pair has a narrow stem, gadrooned flattened body and small
ball finial, the other pair has similar stem, moulded body with strapwork,
cover and ball finial; all considerably restored. Gate piers opposite
house entrance rusticated, frontal pilasters, rectangular jambs capped by
reversed consoles of acanthus leaf; entablature and cornice moulding
similar to Justice Room (q.v.), half pediments rolled at break and finished
with a rosette, upon which is mounted an heraldic lion passant, regardant,
heavily restored. The wall is illustrated in Whitaker (1805) where the
capped urns are shown with swags of flowers below the rim. The gates
illustrated there (wooden, with solid panels below and rails above) were
still in situ in 1911 (Country Life photograph) The lions are of similar
material to the plaque above the front door of the hall (q.v.) which has
the arms of Currer and Haworth, and the style is primitive compared to that
of the piers. Country Life, Vol 29. 1911, p126 -133. T.D. Whitaker,
History of Craven, 1805, revised edition 1878, p214


Listing NGR: SE0118046273

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.