History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Schoolhouse and Church of St John the Baptist, Now House

A Grade II Listed Building in Halton Gill, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1848 / 54°11'5"N

Longitude: -2.1853 / 2°11'7"W

OS Eastings: 388003

OS Northings: 476571

OS Grid: SD880765

Mapcode National: GBR FN51.PM

Mapcode Global: WHB66.D2LQ

Entry Name: Schoolhouse and Church of St John the Baptist, Now House

Listing Date: 20 February 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132182

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324660

Location: Halton Gill, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Halton Gill

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Halton Gill

Listing Text

SD 87 NE HALTON GILL HALTON GILL

Schoolhouse and Church
of St. John the
5/73 Baptist, now house

20.2.58

GV II

Former church and schoolhouse, now house. Schoolhouse dated 1626, for
William Fawcett of Norwich, house restored and church rebuilt 1848 by A.B.
Higham for the Misses Dawson of Marshfield. Coursed rubble, graduated
stone slate roof. Quoins. Schoolhouse: 1 storey, 1 bay. Board door right,
in quoined surround; lintel restored; panel above with raised lettering
" W F " . Window of 3 trefoil-headed lights to left. Large external
1626
stack to left return. Church: 2-bay nave with south porch and lower 1-bay
chancel. Bellcot to west end. Moulded arch to porch entrance; two 2-light
Decorated nave windows with hoodmoulds, a single-light chancel window and
3-light east window, both with pointed-arched hoodmoulds. Gable copings,
low central stack to nave ridge. History: William Fawcett was the son of
a local farmer who moved to Norwich and left money for the establishment of
a school at Halton Gill, to be run by a scholar/priest who would preach in
the church and teach on Sunday and weekdays. The school closed in 1958.
The church was a chapel of ease of Arncliffe. Included for group value.
A. Raistrick, old Yorkshire Dales, 1967, p.155


Listing NGR: SD8800376571

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.