History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outbuilding Approximately 20 Metres Northwest of Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Halton Gill, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1851 / 54°11'6"N

Longitude: -2.1854 / 2°11'7"W

OS Eastings: 387995

OS Northings: 476609

OS Grid: SD879766

Mapcode National: GBR FN51.NH

Mapcode Global: WHB66.D2KF

Entry Name: Outbuilding Approximately 20 Metres Northwest of Manor House

Listing Date: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132183

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324661

Location: Halton Gill, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Halton Gill

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Halton Gill

Listing Text

SD 87 NE HALTON GILL HALTON GILL

Outbuilding approximately
5/74 20 metres northwest of
Manor House

GV II


Farmhouse, now outbuilding. Dated 1652 with C18 addition and C19
conversion. Coursed gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 2
bays with added bay to left and 2-bay C19 range to right. Quoins. House:
blocked doorway left, now a window with chamfered quoined jambs and
cambered lintel carved with recessed panels and raised lettering, "T 1652
F". Recessed chamfered mullion windows centre and right on the ground
floor, the central window is blocked and partly destroyed by an inserted
byre doorway with plain lintel and jambs; a 2-light window to ground floor,
right, mullion missing. On first floor one central 3-light window and 2-
light window to right, both have a mullion missing. Added bay to left: a
cambered arch to east entrance, quoined jambs. 2-bay range to right, the
left bay has a central stable door, flanked by 4-light windows; a large
carriage entrance to right bay, with quoined jambs and wooden lintel.
Interior of oldest part: fireplace on left with C18 stone jambs and flat
lintel. The house may have been built by a member of the Fawcett family;
the added outbuilding is a common C18 feature in the area (cf. Low House
q.v.), while the C19 stable and carriage house probably date from the
alterations to Manor House (q.v.). Included for group value.


Listing NGR: SD8799576609

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.