This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.106 / 54°6'21"N
Longitude: -2.0402 / 2°2'24"W
OS Eastings: 397470
OS Northings: 467791
OS Grid: SD974677
Mapcode National: GBR GN6Y.3V
Mapcode Global: WHB6N.M2P3
Entry Name: Angler's Cottage
Listing Date: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132217
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324641
Location: Conistone with Kilnsey, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Conistone with Kilnsey
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SD 9767 CONISTONE WITH KILNSEY B6160
23/54 Angler's Cottage
Inn, now house and holiday cottage. 1768 with late C19 alterations.
Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar dressings, graduated stone slate roof.
Quoins. 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical facade to left, the right hand 2
bays narrower. C20 door and plain overlight bay 2 in sawn stone surround,
a stone plaque above with a round-headed recess and letters in relief:
" 0 " , C20 door far right in chamfered quoined surround. To right of
the main entrance, bay 2, a blocked doorway has the letters "0" and "1754"
crudely incised on the right jamb. Fenestration: rectangular windows in
plain stone surrounds throughout, with C20 casements to ground foor bays 3
and 4, and 4-pane sashes elsewhere. Window to bay 4 ground floor is
smaller than those to 1st 3 bays and those to bays 4 and 5 are larger. End
stacks. Interior: the blocked front doorway has a fine built-in shelf
unit of mid-late C18 type, with shaped shelves and shell hood. The building
was the Angler's Inn, established in 1760 (Speight p.470) and the landlord
was John Inman. One Henry Ovington lived at the inn in 1797 when a meeting
of landowners took place to discuss the enclosure of the land in the area
(Baistrick p 54). In 1882 the licence was given up, the property then owned
by Mr. Tennant of Chapel House (q.v.),and the nearby Tennant Arms was
established. A. Raistrick, Old Yorkshire Dales, 1967. H. Speight,
Upper Wharfedale, 1903
Listing NGR: SD9747067791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings