This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9537 / 53°57'13"N
Longitude: -2.0886 / 2°5'19"W
OS Eastings: 394282
OS Northings: 450844
OS Grid: SD942508
Mapcode National: GBR FQVQ.MG
Mapcode Global: WHB76.WWLF
Entry Name: Broughton Hall
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132296
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324409
Location: Broughton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Broughton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SD 95 SW BROUGHTON THE PARK
2/30 Broughton Hall
Mansion. Core of 1597 altered c 1755 and refronted 1838-41 by George Webster;
wings by William Atkinson, 1809-14, and further west wing and tower by Webster.
Conservatory, 1853. Ashlar with slate and lead roofs. Central block of 2 storeys,
with basement and attic storey, and of 7 bays. This forms a symmetrical composition
around a central canted bay (mid C18) now partly masked by the giant Greek Ionic
porte cochere of two pairs of columns. This order continues across the facade
as a Doric pilastrade. The attic and porte cochere are balustraded. The windows
are sashed with all glazing bars and have cornices to ground floor and attic;
the doorway has a pediment on consoles. The wings are of two storeys level with
those of centre, coming forward slightly to form a frame for 2 Ionic half columns,
and pedimented. The single bay is filled to ground floor by a sashed tripartite
window with Ionic columns as mullions; the window above is sashed but unmoulded.
Urns as acroteria. West serving wing of 2 storeys, finished as central block
and ending in a four-stage tower of square plan. This is topped by a prominent
octagonal cupola resting on 8 columns derived from the Tower of the Winds. The
sides and rear are comparatively plain but attached to the rear are the Conservatory
of 1853, by Andrews and Delaunay of Bradford on a basilican plan, and elaborate
example with stone Ionic columns without and cast-iron columns within, fully glazed;
and the simple 5-bay chapel (to which the service wing tower is the belfry).
Interior: Almost entirely of 1809-14. The exceptions are the south room on the
first floor, with small panels perhaps from the original build, a back stair perhaps
C17, and the transverse hall which may record an unusual feature of the original
plan. This preserves the decorative scheme of c 1755 for Stephen Tempest, with
Ionic Scagliola columns and modillion cornices to ceiling and doorcases. Atkinson's
alterations form the chief interest of the interior and these include the present
decoration of the library and dining-room, the provision of a shallow-domed vestibule
and staircase, and the White and Red Drawing Rooms in the eastern addition. These
rooms are in a rich but restrained Neoclassical style. The Chapel of the Sacred
Heart is entirely Gothic of C19, with low quadripartite vaulting, much polychromatic
stencilling and a western gallery on Gothic Corinthian colonnettes.
The House is principally important as an example of Picturesque Classicism,
particularly in the semi-formal setting created by W A Nesfield (see Country Life,
January 29 1981). Samuel Buck's Yorkshire Sketchbook, facsimile, 1979 shows the
house in early C19; T D Whitaker, History and Antiquities of theDemery of Craven,
1812; Country Life, March 31, April 7 and 14 1950.
Listing NGR: SD9428350845
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings