This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1005 / 54°6'1"N
Longitude: -2.2848 / 2°17'5"W
OS Eastings: 381473
OS Northings: 467210
OS Grid: SD814672
Mapcode National: GBR DPH0.4V
Mapcode Global: WH95D.W65C
Entry Name: Knights Stainforth Hall and Knights Cottage
Listing Date: 20 February 1958
Last Amended: 13 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132317
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324363
Location: Stainforth, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD24
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Stainforth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Stainforth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
STAINFORTH KNIGHT STAINFORTH
SD 86 NW
2/21 Knight's Stainforth Hall
and Knight's Cottage
20.2.58 (formerly listed as
Former manor house, now house and cottage. Dated 1672. Slobbered rubble brought
to course, stone dressings, stone slate roof. 3 storeys 6 bays. Central entrance
has surround of double quirked bead moulding and large plain lintel; C20 door. Sundial
above (gnomon now gone) is dated 1724. 6 ground floor chamfered windows; bay 1
is a cross window with cavetto mullions and transoms and hoodmould; remaining windows
were originally similar but mullions and transoms are now gone, bay 2 was lowered
to create C20 entrance with glazed doors, bay 4 has lost its jambs. Continuous
hoodmould over the entrance and flanking window on either side. Chamfered cross
windows with cavetto mullions and transoms on first floor except bays 3 and 6 which
have lost their mullions and transoms; bay 4 is now blocked. A narrow single-light
transomed window between bays 3 and 4 is also blocked. Five 2-light chamfered
windows with cavetto mullions on second floor. All windows have C20 casements.
Moulded eaves modillions. Gable end ridge stacks and ridge stack between bays 2
and 3. Left-hand return has near symmetrical facade of 3 storeys, 6 bays. Two outer
bays on each side are gabled and contain a slightly projecting gable-end stack
each supported on two corbels at the level of the first floor window heads. Small
datestone above hoodmould of ground floor window in bay 5. Projecting central wing
to right of rear contains entrance to Knight's Cottage which has chamfered surround
and pointed arched head. The hall was the home of Samuel Watson, an early Quaker
who was granted a licence to worship in the hall under the 1689 Toleration Act.
Source: T Brayshaw and R M Robinson. A History of the Ancient Parish of Giggleswick
(1932), pp 98-102.
Listing NGR: SD8147367210
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings