This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0686 / 54°4'6"N
Longitude: -2.2768 / 2°16'36"W
OS Eastings: 381979
OS Northings: 463660
OS Grid: SD819636
Mapcode National: GBR DPJD.V8
Mapcode Global: WHB6K.0Z2V
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 13 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324326
Location: Settle, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD24
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Settle
Built-Up Area: Settle
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Settle Holy Ascension
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SETTLE MARKET PLACE
Town hall with shops on ground floor, by George Webster of Kendal. Dated 1832.
Gothic Revival style. Rubble, stone dressings, slate roof. 3 storeys, 6 bays.
South (Cheapside) entrance has 3 gabled sections, the central one projecting, each
2 bays wide. A central porch has 3 arches with 2-centre heads. A door to left
and right has 2-centre heads flanking a 3-light mullioned and transomed window
with a 2-centre head. Similar window and entrance to shop to left and right.
Datestone inscribed 'ERECTED 1832' in style similar to that at Taitlands,
Stainforth (qv). Upper floors contain a variety of details in early
C17 style including chamfered mullioned and transomed windows with dripmoulds
stepped and decorated gables and finials. Left and right hand ridge stacks.
Remaining facades have 3 gables and 2-light windows on the ground floor except the
east side which has had the mullions and transoms cut out and plate glass inserted.
The west (Duke Street) entrance was blocked to give access to the later convenien-
ces in the basement; central oriel window on first floor with clock above in
stepped gable and bell capped by gabled hood with finial. North (Market Place)
facade has right-hand oriel window on first floor. The hall is sited in a
prominent position at the southern end of the Market Place.
Source: A Taylor and J Haworth, The Websters of Kendal (1973).
Listing NGR: SD8197963660
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings