History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Langcliffe, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0812 / 54°4'52"N

Longitude: -2.2736 / 2°16'25"W

OS Eastings: 382195

OS Northings: 465067

OS Grid: SD821650

Mapcode National: GBR DPK7.KR

Mapcode Global: WHB6K.1PL4

Entry Name: Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 20 February 1958

Last Amended: 13 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132354

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324248

Location: Langcliffe, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD24

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Langcliffe

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Langcliffe St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Stainforth

Listing Text

LANGCLIFFE
SD 86 NW
2/8 Old Vicarage
(formerly listed as
20.2.58
The Vicarage)
GV II
Former vicarage, now house. C17 with C19 alterations. Rendered, painted stone
dressings, stone slate roof. 2 storeys 4 bays. Double entrance in third bay covered
by decorated lintel (now rendered) and hoodmould; left-hand entrance has C19 French
windows each with 4 panes, the upper pane having pointed arched heads; right hand
door is C20. Above the entrance is a painted sundial with gnomon. On ground floor
to the right is a 3-light chamfered window with hoodmould having cicular stops incised
with a spiral. To the left of the entrance are a 3-light and 4-light cavetto
mullioned window, with a continuous hoodmould. All 4 upper floor windows are
mullioned with 3 lights; bay 1 is double chamfered with cavetto mullions on square
stools; bay 2 is chamfered mullioned; bay 3 is probably C19 in C17 style, with double
chamfered cavetto mullions. Bay 4 is double chamfered with a square stool under
right-hand mullion. Gable-end ridge stack and ridge stack to the left of bay 2.
Occupied by William Paley (1743 - 1805), Archdeacon of Carlisle and author of
Principles of Moral and Political Philosophy (1785), and Evidences of Christianity
(1794).
Source: T Brayshaw and R M Robinson, A History of the Ancient Parish of Giggleswick
(1932), pp 257-261


Listing NGR: SD8219565067

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.