History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Clapham cum Newby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1203 / 54°7'12"N

Longitude: -2.3904 / 2°23'25"W

OS Eastings: 374581

OS Northings: 469447

OS Grid: SD745694

Mapcode National: GBR CNRS.9R

Mapcode Global: WH955.7PZP

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 20 February 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132398

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324150

Location: Clapham cum Newby, Craven, North Yorkshire, LA2

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Clapham cum Newby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Clapham with Keasden St James

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Clapham

Listing Text

CLAPHAM-CUM-NEWBY CHURCH AVENUE
SD 7496
(east side)
13/2 Church of St James
20.2.58
GV II
Parish church. C15 tower, rest 1814, with c1900 alterations. Slobbered rubble,
stone dressings, slate roof. South porch, west tower, 4 bay nave, north and south
aisles, one bay chancel. South porch, 1899, rock-faced stone, stone slate roof
to gable; pointed arch with moulded surround; cruciform finial to gable. Porch
blocks 1814 window, below which is entrance with basket-arched head and moulded
surround; 2 leaf plank doors. West tower: 3 stage; west entrance has Tudor head,
moulded surround, c1900 2 leaf plank doors, hoodmoulds. 3-light window immediately
above has pointed arch, cavetto surround and Perpendicular tracery. Small trefoil
headed window in second stage with cavetto surround. In bell-stage is deeply
chamfered belfry opening with tracery now gone on west side, but 2-light trefoil
headed on north and south. Embattled parapet and central gargoyle on each face.
Diagonal buttresses. Remains of former nave wall to north and south, that on south
having chamfered lancet window. Nave: pointed arched windows have continuous hood-
mould. South side: left-hand window is blocked, remaining have 3-lights of c1900
tracery; vestry entrance on right-hand side; Tudor arch, moulded surround, 3 panel
door; quoins of rock-faced stone, parapet and stringcourse. North side: left-hand
window preserves 1814 sashes; intersecting tracery in upper sash, 35 pane lower
sash; remaining windows have c1900 tracery. East end: central chancel window has
3 lights with c1900 tracery; quoined moulded surround and hoodmould. Smaller 3-
light window to left and right with rectilinear tracery and hoodmoulds. Interior:
north and south arcades of octagonal pillars and segmental-pointed arches. C17
panelling from C17 pews re-used as dado panelling. Present pews c1900. Church
was rebuilt by Farrar family of Ingleborough Hall (qv , to whom are several
memorials.

Listing NGR: SD7458169447

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.