History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Clapham cum Newby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.118 / 54°7'4"N

Longitude: -2.3913 / 2°23'28"W

OS Eastings: 374521

OS Northings: 469200

OS Grid: SD745692

Mapcode National: GBR CNRT.3K

Mapcode Global: WH955.7RKD

Entry Name: The Old Manor House

Listing Date: 20 February 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132403

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324156

Location: Clapham cum Newby, Craven, North Yorkshire, LA2

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Clapham cum Newby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Clapham with Keasden St James

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Clapham

Listing Text

CLAPHAM-CUM-NEWBY CHURCH AVENUE
SD 7496
(east side)
13/8 The Old Manor House
20.2.58
GV II
Formerly manor house, now community centre. Dated 1701 with early C20 alterations.
Strap-pointed rubble, stone dressings, stone slate roof. Gable end to street.
2 storeys, 5 bays with projecting 2-storey gabled entrance porch in third bay.
Entrance has moulded surround, decorated dated lintel inscribed C
W I and hoodmould
with spiral stops; 6 panel door. C20 entrance in second bay. On ground floor 3-
light chamfered window with ovolo mullions to first bay, and similar but 5-light
window to right of main entrance. Both have dripstones. 4 similar 2-light windows
to upper floor. Above entrance is a stepped 3-light chamfered window with ovolo
mullion, decorated hoodmould with spiral stops. 4 rows of pigeon holes in gable,
in triangular arrangement. Gable ridge has base to finial (now gone). Left-hand
gable end ridge stack, massive projecting right-hand gable end ridge stack.
Interior: massive inglenook fireplace with moulded impost blocks, 18 joggled
voussoirs and decorated keystone inscribed 1701. Left and right-hand bread ovens.

Listing NGR: SD7452169200

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.