History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints and Churchyard Wall and Railings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burton in Lonsdale, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1439 / 54°8'38"N

Longitude: -2.5356 / 2°32'7"W

OS Eastings: 365112

OS Northings: 472139

OS Grid: SD651721

Mapcode National: GBR BNQJ.V8

Mapcode Global: WH953.03WK

Entry Name: Church of All Saints and Churchyard Wall and Railings

Listing Date: 24 June 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132430

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324126

Location: Burton in Lonsdale, Craven, North Yorkshire, LA6

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Burton in Lonsdale

Built-Up Area: Burton in Lonsdale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Burton-in-Lonsdale All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Burton in Lonsdale

Listing Text

BURTON IN LONSDALE HIGH STREET
SD 67 SE
(south side)
2/5 Church of All Saints
and churchyard wall
and railings
GV II*
Parish church. 1868-76 by E G Paley. Snecked sandstone, slate roof. North
porch, nave, north aisle, transceptal south tower, chancel. Early English style.
North porch of wood with tile roof; 2-centre head, traceried bargeboards and
2-leaf doors. 4 bay nave; two 2-light windows with 2-centre heads and quatrefoils;
hoodmoulds; one 3-light and one 2-light window, both with sexfoils. Four-lights
trefoil headed window to north vestry. South transceptal tower of 3 stages with
massive angle buttresses to south west corner and clasping buttresses to south-east.
Single-light lancet window in first and second stages of west side, 2 single-light
lancets in belfry with two quatrefoils above; corbel table, splay-footed spire.
Chancel has one 2-light lancet window with hoodmould and decorated stops to north
and south sides. East window: stepped, of 3 lights with trefoil heads. 2 small
sexfoil windows above side lights and large nonofoil window above centre light;
hoodmould.
Interior: Arcade separating nave and north aise has stiff-leafed capitals now
blind with c1970 glazed screen. 2-centre chancel arch. Exposed king-post roof
to nave, stone quadripartite rib-vaulting to chancel. Piscina to north and 2
sedilia to south in chancel. Low wall to north of church fronting the cross
has iron railings of gridiron pattern and low iron gates to north porch.

Listing NGR: SD6511272139

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.