History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edward

A Grade II Listed Building in Knottingley, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7257 / 53°43'32"N

Longitude: -1.2708 / 1°16'14"W

OS Eastings: 448211

OS Northings: 425729

OS Grid: SE482257

Mapcode National: GBR MTKC.P5

Mapcode Global: WHDC1.GM34

Entry Name: Church of St Edward

Listing Date: 11 December 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132452

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326063

Location: Brotherton, Selby, North Yorkshire, WF11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

Civil Parish: Brotherton

Built-Up Area: Knottingley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brotherton St Edward the Confessor

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Monk Fryston

Listing Text

BROTHERTON CHURCH STREET
SE 42 NE
(west side )
3/7 Church of St Edward

11.12.67
II
Church. 1842. By G R Pritchett & Son. Millstone grit ashlar with Welsh
slate roof. West tower. 4-bay aisled nave and 2-bay chancel with aisle to
nortn and single bay vestry to south. Gothic Revival style. Embattled
2-stage tower rises from nave. Diagonal buttresses with off-sets surmounted
by pinnacles. 2-light bell-opening under hoodmoulds to each side. Nave:
soutn side. South-doorway in embattled surround. Perpendicular windows
under hoodmoulds throughout. East end: 3-light window with Perpendicular
tracery under hoodmould. Interior: nave and chancel have octagonal piers
and double-chamfered arches. Double-chamfered tower arch and chancel arch.
2 galleries to nave. Wall monuments. In north chancel aisle: marble
baroque sarcophagus surmounted by urn to Sir John Ramsden of Byrom (sic)
died 1690; to Sarah Butler died 1670 with portrait bust; to Sir John Ramsden
of Byram died 1839 by Walsh and Lee of Leeds; to John Charles Ramsden died
1830 by Walsh & Dunbar of Leeds; to Robert Ramsden died 1769 by M Taylor,
York. North aisle: tablet to Bradwardine Tindall died 1686. West end: to
Robert Carr died 1716. Glass to east window of north aisle by Warwick,
1858. Pevsner, N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, p 149.


Listing NGR: SE4821125729

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.