History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Audus Charity

A Grade II Listed Building in Selby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7823 / 53°46'56"N

Longitude: -1.0759 / 1°4'33"W

OS Eastings: 460989

OS Northings: 432171

OS Grid: SE609321

Mapcode National: GBR NSXP.WW

Mapcode Global: WHFD2.F6X7

Entry Name: Audus Charity

Listing Date: 14 November 1980

Last Amended: 23 September 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132576

English Heritage Legacy ID: 325756

Location: Selby, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

Civil Parish: Selby

Built-Up Area: Selby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Selby St James

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Selby

Listing Text

In the entry for GOWTHORPE
(south-side)
------------
3/35 Nos 125 to 143 (odd)
(Audus charity)

the item shall be amended to read Nos 125 to 139 (odd)
and No 143

------------------------------------

GOWTHORPE
1. (south side)
5342 ------------
Nos 125 to 143 (odd)
(Audus Charity)
SE 6032 SE 3/25

II GV


2.
Summer of 1833. Built to the design of, and at the expense of, the younger
James Audus (1781-1867), the prominent local philanthropist and amateur architect. Brown brick. Hipped slate roof. Three sides of a square. Two
storeys. Three bays on east side, 4 on the west, and 4 plus frontispiece on south: casements with glazing bars and channelled ashlar voussoirs. Frontis-
piece is carried up into low tower with crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles at corners: 2 moulded string courses: 2-centred arched passage
entrance with crocketed ogee-headed moulding ending in elaborate finial
above and masks as label stops below. Sunk ashlar plaque on first floor, inscribed "THESE HOUSES ERECTED AT THE SOLE EXPENSE OF JAMES AUDUS ESQ WERE
PRESENTED TO THE FEOFFEES AND THEIR SUCCESSORS AT SELBY IN TRUST FOR PIOUS
USES. THAT THE SAID HOUSES BE OCCUPIED FROM TIME TO TIME BY AGED AND INFIRM PEOPLE WITHOUT FAMILIES BELONGING TO THE PARISH TO SELBY RENT FREE. NATALIS
LOCI SUI AMORIS MONUMENTUM 1833".


Listing NGR: SE6098932170

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.