This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7798 / 53°46'47"N
Longitude: -1.0767 / 1°4'36"W
OS Eastings: 460940
OS Northings: 431893
OS Grid: SE609318
Mapcode National: GBR NSXQ.PS
Mapcode Global: WHFD2.F8J5
Entry Name: Selby College of Further Education
Listing Date: 14 November 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132588
English Heritage Legacy ID: 325712
Location: Selby, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Selby
Built-Up Area: Selby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Selby St Mary and St Germain
Church of England Diocese: York
1. (west side)
Selby College of
SE 63 SW 9/43
1864-5. Former Armoury. and Drill Hall. Architect: Edward Taylor of York. Builder:
John Adams of Selby. Brown brick, with much yellow brick ornament. Pitched slate
roof. One storey with 2-storey gabled wings. Wings have one-bay fronts and five-bay
sides: segment-headed sashes with glazing bars. Front has modern windows except
for central (gabled) bay, which has segment-headed carriage doors with ornamental
wrought iron hinges; and 2-centred arched light in gable, with brick sub-arches
and Gothick glazing bars.
History: Built for the Selby Rifle Volunteers (founded 1862). Funds raised 1863.
Site given by Lord Londesborough, who laid the foundation stone on 21 May 1864,
and opened the building on 17 February 1865.
Listing NGR: SE6094031893
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings