This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2177 / 53°13'3"N
Longitude: -1.6834 / 1°41'0"W
OS Eastings: 421236
OS Northings: 369004
OS Grid: SK212690
Mapcode National: GBR 57S.772
Mapcode Global: WHCD7.3DN3
Entry Name: Lumford Mill (Original Building Only)
Listing Date: 13 March 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132647
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468088
Location: Bakewell, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Bakewell
Built-Up Area: Bakewell
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Bakewell All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK2169 BUXTON ROAD
831-1/3/54 (North East side)
13/03/51 Lumford Mill (original building
Part of cotton mill now offices. Late C18 or very early C19.
By Richard Arkwright for his son Richard. Deeply-coursed
dressed sandstone. Welsh slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 8-window range. Large quoins. C20 wooden
North side: ground-floor and first-floor sill bands extend 5
bays; broad windows to ground-floor bays 1 and 2 have
flat-headed segmental arches with keystones. First-floor
windows of same bays have cambered arches with keystones. Rest
of ground and first floor altered except window to
ground-floor bay 5. Second floor: projecting sills to
square-headed windows beneath eaves. Bays 7 and 8 have old
masonry to lower walls.
South side (facing river): small one-storey projection with
stone slate roof. Upper floor windows as bays 1 and 2 of north
Left return: matching windows to first and second floors; band
across gable with round-framed recess (concealed by ivy); end
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: Richard Arkwright leased the site in 1777 and, after
resolving difficulties over the water rights, built the mill
for his son Richard. By 1821 it employed 350 people under the
management of Richard and Peter Arkwright. Various later C19
owners. Main mill buildings rebuilt after a fire in 1868.
(The Industrial Archaeology of the British Isles: Harris H:
Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District: 1971-: 105-106).
Listing NGR: SK2123669004
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings