History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Harthill Schoolhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Harthill with Woodall, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3231 / 53°19'23"N

Longitude: -1.2597 / 1°15'35"W

OS Eastings: 449405

OS Northings: 380946

OS Grid: SK494809

Mapcode National: GBR MZN0.2G

Mapcode Global: WHDDZ.MQBS

Entry Name: Harthill Schoolhouse

Listing Date: 29 July 1966

Last Amended: 15 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132668

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335784

Location: Harthill with Woodall, Rotherham, S26

County: Rotherham

Civil Parish: Harthill with Woodall

Built-Up Area: Harthill

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Harthill All Hallows

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Harthill

Listing Text

HARTHILL WITH WOODALL UNION STREET
SK48SE
(east side, off)
4/36
Harthill Schoolhouse
29.7.66 (formerly listed as
Schoolhouse)

GV II

Church schoolhouse. Rebuilt 1721 for the 2nd Rev. John Hewitt (Garbett, p129),
later alterations and additions. Ashlar sandstone, Welsh slate roof. Single
storey, 1 : 1 : 1 bays, taller central bay breaks forward. Plinth: projecting
quoins. Blocked central doorway has unequally-hung 20-pane sash in raised
ashlar surround with moulded arrises, slight cornice with rusticated panel over.
Renewed casements flanking doorway have tall ashlar surrounds with projecting
sills; outer bays have cross windows in similar surrounds. Central pediment has
kneelers linked by band, architraved oculus and gable copings. Hipped roof with
stone ridges. Rear: lean-to beneath central gable without oculus. Right return:
doorway with ashlar surround and slight cornice, shuttered casement to its left.
C20 lean-to addition on left return not of special interest. Garbett notes that
the foundation stone was laid on 7th June 1721 and includes some building accounts
from parish records. Situated in corner of churchyard to Church of All Hallows (q.v.).

H. Garbett, The History of Harthill-with-woodall, 1950.


Listing NGR: SK4940480946

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.