History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Poplars

A Grade II Listed Building in Whiston, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3956 / 53°23'44"N

Longitude: -1.3126 / 1°18'45"W

OS Eastings: 445805

OS Northings: 388968

OS Grid: SK458889

Mapcode National: GBR MY85.MH

Mapcode Global: WHDDK.TX48

Entry Name: The Poplars

Listing Date: 19 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132691

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335744

Location: Whiston, Rotherham, S60

County: Rotherham

Civil Parish: Whiston

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Whiston St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Rotherham

Listing Text

SK48NE WHISTON UPPER WHISTON
Upper Whiston Lane
(off west side)
8/108 The Poplars
- II
House. Part of core late C15 or C16, rebuilt early C17 (said to have 1612
date plaque now covered over), extensive C19 and C20 alterations. Some internal
timber-framing; roughcast sandstone walling, Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys,
5 windows to 1st floor. Entrance front: part-glazed door to left bay with sash
window to its left and casement over. Other bays with irregular C19 and C20
fenestration including small window opposite ridge stack possibly the vestige of
a fire window. Bay 1 has external end stack to left, higher eaves and hipped roof.
Main range has rendered end stack to right and rendered ridge stack. Left return:
massive external stack to right with offsets and rebuilt brick shaft; small external
stack of later date to left.
Interior: main range has chamfered spine beam now incomplete. Central stack has
back to back fireplaces one with early ashlar surround with shaped panels in rebate
above lintel. Roof space with 5, collared, principal-rafter trusses, double purlins
and evidence of former firehood louvre on north side of ridge stack (Ryder). Taller
end bay is structurally a 2-bay cross-wing. Massive slab ceiling joists on soffit-
morticed beam. In lst-floor front room: exposed cambered tie beam with head of one
wall post. Side wall stud partition divides end bay from main range. Tudor-arched
fireplace backs onto external stack. Wall posts said to remain in some corners of
this bay.
P. F. Ryder, notes in County Ancient Monuments and Sites Record, Sheffield,
primary index No 1505.


Listing NGR: SK4580588968

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.