This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3927 / 53°23'33"N
Longitude: -1.3617 / 1°21'42"W
OS Eastings: 442545
OS Northings: 388614
OS Grid: SK425886
Mapcode National: GBR LYX6.ZK
Mapcode Global: WHDDK.1ZVH
Entry Name: The Glassworks Cone
Listing Date: 29 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132732
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335632
Location: Catcliffe, Rotherham, S60
Civil Parish: Catcliffe
Built-Up Area: Catcliffe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brinsworth and Catliffe
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK48NW CATCLIFFE MAIN STREET
(west side, off)
7/1 The Glassworks
Glass cone. c1740 for William Fenney. Dressed sandstone plinth wall, brickwork
above. Immense cone approximately 20 metres high pierced by openings round its
base and open at the top. On east and west sides, at present ground level, are
brick archways now buried. Sloping plinth wall with band above. Springing from
band are 3 large segmentally-arched openings; also set around base are 3 round-
arched openings, 2 segmentally-arched doorways and 4 segmentally-arched windows.
Interior: floor concreted, no visible remains of central kiln.
William Fenney previously managed the Bolsterstone Glasshouse owned by his
mother-in-law. The terms of her will prevented Fenney from setting up another
glasshouse within 10 miles of Bolsterstone; Catcliffe is 10 1/2 miles to the south-
east and its glassworks became one of four established in the first half of the
C18 by Bolsterstone men. Eventually passed into the hands of Henry Blunn before
its closure in 1884-1887; re-opened briefly in 1900. Excavation of the site in
1962 revealed details of the kiln and flue structures. The cone is the oldest
surviving structure of its type in Western Europe and one of only 4 to remain
in the U. K. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
G. Lewis, 'The Catcliffe Glassworks,
Journal of Industrial Archaeology, 1964-65, vol 1, pp206-211.
Listing NGR: SK4254588614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings