This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4327 / 53°25'57"N
Longitude: -1.3582 / 1°21'29"W
OS Eastings: 442740
OS Northings: 393069
OS Grid: SK427930
Mapcode National: GBR LXYR.R6
Mapcode Global: WHDDC.3ZJB
Entry Name: Chapel of Our Lady
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132738
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335645
Location: Rotherham, S60
Electoral Ward/Division: Boston Castle
Built-Up Area: Rotherham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rotherham
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK49SW ROTHERHAM BRIDGE STREET
5/13 Chapel of
19.10.51 Our Lady
Bridge chapel. 1483, exterior restored 1924, interior restored 1980.
Deeply-coursed, ashlar sandstone; roof not visible. Small gable-entry building
set on north side of Rotherham Bridge (q.v.). Perpendicular with C20 tracery
in keeping. Single-storey with undercroft, 1 x 2 bays. Entrance front: moulded
plinth band interrupted by moulded, Tudor-arched doorway with hoodmould; small
slit window to its right; small 2-light window with hoodmould above. Peaked
string course beneath embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Opposite gable:
slit window to undercroft flanked by offset buttresses. Plinth band continues
from entrance front beneath 4-light window with hoodmould, parapet as front has
apex pinnacle. Side walls each with two 3-light windows with hoodmoulds.
Interior: unimproved undercroft with remains of cell doors. C20 interior.
Probably founded by Archbishop Thomas Rotherham. In 1483 John Bokying bequeathed
3s 4d to the fabric of the chapel to be built on Rotherham Bridge (Hey). Used as
an almshouse before serving as town jail in 1779 (doors preserved in undercroft), used
as private house from 1826 but became tobacconist's shop from 1888-1913.
D. Hey, 'Rotherham Bridge', Archaeological Journal, vol 137, 1980, p430.
P. F. Ryder, Medieval Buildings of Yorkshire, 1982, p82 (plate).
Listing NGR: SK4274093067
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings