This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5029 / 53°30'10"N
Longitude: -1.3494 / 1°20'57"W
OS Eastings: 443253
OS Northings: 400889
OS Grid: SE432008
Mapcode National: GBR MW0Y.N0
Mapcode Global: WHDD5.76PX
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 13 November 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132786
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335551
Location: Rotherham, S63
Electoral Ward/Division: Wath
Built-Up Area: Wath upon Dearne
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wath Upon Dearne All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SE40SW WATH UPON DEARNE CHURCH STREET
2/42 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 north arcades within earlier walling, lower part of
tower also C12; nave and chancel rebuilt and added to in C13 and C14;
tower heightened C14 or C15; nave re-roofed 1540; spire replaced 1714
restored and enlarged 1868 and 1920; C20 addition to north-east corner.
Sandstone rubble to lower part of tower and to north chapel, otherwise
ashlar. Lead roof to nave; tiles to chancel and aisles; stone slates
to north chapel. West tower; 3½-bay aisled nave with south porch;
3-bay chancel with south organ chamber; north chapel with west
aisle all roofed at right angles to main axis, north vestry.
Tower: door on south side dated 1868. Band rises over door; stone clock
face to right. Offset band and string course beneath clock. Blocked,
round-arched, 2-light former belfry openings. 2-light Perpendicular
belfry openings. Corner gargoyles and renewed, embattled parapet with
crocketted pinnacles. Recessed octagonal spire. Nave: south porch:
chamfered plinth and wave-moulded bandy buttresses flank double-quadrant-
moulded doorway; raking parapet; rib-vaulted roof. Aisle has chamfered
plinth and buttress between two 2-light windows with Y-tracery and
hoodmoulds. Embattled parapet. Clerestorey: four 2-light windows all
double-chamfered and square-headed. Embattled parapet. North aisle:
plinth and wave-moulded band; buttresses between bays; two square-headed
windows with ogee-headed lights; doorway to right. Chancel: C19 and C20
organ chamber breaks forward, has two 2-light Y-tracery windows; embattled
parapet. Chancel south wall has lancet within rubble walling. East end
of chancel rebuilt c1920: snecked wallstone; 5-light east window in
Perpendicular style; coped gable with cross. North chapel: buttresses
to angles and beneath north window. East wall has lancets flanking 2-light
Y-tracery window, all with hoodmoulds. North window of 4 lancets beneath
quatrefoil, hoodmould. Doorway and lancet to north end of west aisle;
diagonal buttress to right.
Interior: double-chamfered, pointed tower arch on semicircular responds
with moulded capitals. North arcade: circular piers, scalloped capitals,
cross-shaped abaci and round arches with single step. Restored doorway
at east end with blocked rood door over. South arcade pointed and double-
chamfered with ½ arch at west end. Splendid roof of 1540: cambered tie
beams, bosses now painted and gilded. Chancel arch double-chamfered.
2-bay arcade to north chapel as nave north arcade; piscina in eastern
respond. North chapel: west arcade with quatrefoil pier and keeled north
Fittings: C19 benefactions board beneath tower. In nave: 2 brass chandeliers
dated 1810, gift of Thomas Tuke. Chancel north wall: 1728 wall monument to
George Ellis (d.1712). North chapel: 5 reused bench ends with running
inscription including name 'John Saville' and dated 1576. Baluster-shaped
font of 1726 with acanthus carving and Greek palindrome; turned-wood cover
with iron handle and dove finial. Brass of 1767 on north wall. C14 parish
chest. Other fittings mostly C19 including stone reredos of 1870 depicting
Christ and two disciples in ogee-headed niche. Stained glass of 1892 by
Clayton and Bell in north aisle and east windows of chapel.
C. Ibbetson, The Story of the Church and Parsons of the Ancient Parish of
All Saints Wath upon Dearne, 1979.
Listing NGR: SE4325400884
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings