This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4007 / 53°24'2"N
Longitude: -1.5359 / 1°32'9"W
OS Eastings: 430951
OS Northings: 389419
OS Grid: SK309894
Mapcode National: GBR 91B.4R
Mapcode Global: WHCCB.CSTB
Entry Name: Rolling Mill
Listing Date: 24 June 1976
Last Amended: 25 June 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132839
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335371
Location: Bradfield, Sheffield, S6
Civil Parish: Bradfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wadsley
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK 28 NW BRADFIELD LOW MATLOCK LANE
(South side), Little Matlock
Steel rolling mill. Dated 1882, rebuilt on existing foundation after flood of 1864. Coursed, squared gritstone, slate roof. Large rectangular building incorporated within later brick extensions. End gable has projecting quoins and round-headed window with keystone now obscured by lean-to roof. Central date plaque with band above. Right return: 3 sets of paired windows with square-faced surrounds and projecting sills, mostly unglazed. To right: a large overshot water wheel, now immobile, with 8 cast-iron spokes to each side and 42 buckets. Above it, a sectional cast-iron pentrough supported by a cast-iron stanchion. In the adjacent wall a blocked shouldered-lintel opening formerly allowed access to the wheel from inside the works. Wheel used until c1956. Dam and tail-race survive. Interior: massive flywheel now powered by electric motor. C19 4-stand in-line rolling mill still in use. The wheel is the largest example of its type to survive in Sheffield.
Listing NGR: SK3095189419
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings