History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Underbank Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Bradfield, Sheffield

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3941 / 53°23'38"N

Longitude: -1.5559 / 1°33'21"W

OS Eastings: 429628

OS Northings: 388681

OS Grid: SK296886

Mapcode National: GBR KYK6.Y0

Mapcode Global: WHCCB.2YCC

Entry Name: Underbank Chapel

Listing Date: 25 April 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132859

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335419

Location: Bradfield, Sheffield, S6

County: Sheffield

Civil Parish: Bradfield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Stannington Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Walkley

Listing Text

SK28NE BRADFIELD STANNINGTON ROAD
(north side)

13/96 Underbank Chapel
25/4/69
GV II


Unitarian Chapel. 1742-43, C19 and C20 interior. Coursed, squared
sandstone, ashlar dressings, stone slate roof with central lead flat.
6 by 3 bays, symmetrical facades. 2 storeys. Plinth, projecting quoins,
C18 panelled doors to bays 2 and 5 in matching ashlar surrounds with
plinth blocks, monolithic jambs, deep stone lintels with projecting
keystones and cornices. Bays 1 and 6 have a single light window to each
floor all in square-faced surrounds with sill blocks, Central 2 bays
each have a tall round-headed window in square-faced surrounds with sill
blocks, impost blocks and tripartite keystones. Keyed oculus above each
door. Moulded eaves cornice forms gutter. Hipped roof with ashlar stack
to left of bay 1. Right return: 2-light square-faced mullion window to
each bay on each floor, casements with glazing bars, Left return: 2 tall
windows inserted, original central openings blocked. Interior: gallery
to east end. In 1867 the pulpit was moved from the south wall to the west
and original galleries to 3 sides removed. Further alterations in 1921
and 1952,

C. F. Stell, 'Underbank Chapel, Stannington', Archaeological Journal
vol 137, 1980 pp455-6


Listing NGR: SK2961788672

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.