This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.492 / 53°29'31"N
Longitude: -1.6473 / 1°38'50"W
OS Eastings: 423500
OS Northings: 399538
OS Grid: SK235995
Mapcode National: GBR JXY1.5X
Mapcode Global: WHCBW.NHS9
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 25 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335349
Location: Bradfield, Sheffield, S36
Civil Parish: Bradfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Penistone St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK29NW BRADFIELD CHAPEL LANE
3/25 Church of St. James.
Church. Probably of medieval origin, rebuilt 1705. Gritstone
rubble, poorly coursed on north and south walls, rough-ashlar
porch, stone slate roof. Nave and chancel in one, south porch.
Single storey, 3-bays (interior). Vernacular style with double-
chamfered mullion windows, plain leaded lights, moulded kneelers,
gable copings and apex ball finials. Gabled porch to left has an
early cross-boarded oak door, heavily studded and with decorated strap
hinges. Quoin reveals and flat 3-centred arched lintel, all moulded.
Lintel date GBB 1705 with lead plaque above bearing the Bosvile coat
of arms. To right : 3-light chancel window. North wall buttressed
with 2-light chancel window. East window : tall, 3 lights. West
gable : 3-light window to ground floor with 2-light to gallery.
Interior : well preserved interior of 1705. 2 rows of box pews and
panelled dado (partly renewed). Heavily carved C17 pulpit. Oak
stairs and balustrade to west gallery. Profile-cut wall posts of
small-scantling, trusses above have tie beams sawn off and purlin
ties added although the western truss retains a moulded and soffit-
morticed collar which may represent an earlier closure at this end.
A complete king-post truss against east wall.
Pre-reformation altar slab removed to Penistone Church. Initials on
lintel are of Godfrey and Bridget Bosvile. Godfrey Bosvile of Gunthwaite
Hall in Penistone parish purchased the manor in 1690, he was High Sheriff
of Yorkshire in 1705 and remodelled this church in that year.
D. Hey and P. Ryder, 'St. James' Church, Midhope', Archaeological Journal
vol 137, pp 459-460.
Porch illustrated in : C.F. Innocent, The Development of English
Building Construction, 1916 p.228.
Listing NGR: SK2350099538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings