History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

National Westminster Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7946 / 53°47'40"N

Longitude: -1.7513 / 1°45'4"W

OS Eastings: 416477

OS Northings: 433169

OS Grid: SE164331

Mapcode National: GBR JKK.G9

Mapcode Global: WHC99.2W9C

Entry Name: National Westminster Bank

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132986

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336863

Location: Bradford, BD1

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 MARKET STREET BD1
(east side)

No 15
SE 1633 SW 36/832 (National Westminster Bank)

II


2.
Includes No 17 Cheapside. Built as the Bradford District Bank on the corner with
Cheapside. Architects: Milnes and France, 1873. Ornate, free classical, original
design with high quality crisp carving in fine Gaisby ashlar. Some late Greek Revival
details slightly reminiscent of "Greek" Thomson in Glasgow. The important site is
emphasised by a small dome above the bowed corner. Five windows to Cheapside, one
to corner and 4 to Market Street. Battered deep plinth with horizontal grooving. The
ground floor treated as broad pilastrade glazed in: the piers rise from moulded bases,
egg and dart strings to moulded caps with central sharply carved double scrolled leaf
motifs. Fluted recessed window heads, profiled consoles flanking. Patterns in frieze
above pier caps - 2 over broader ones flanking corner entrance. The doorway has
engaged fluted Roman Doric columns with incised detail to surround and to shallow
relief block pediment above, incised name plaque over. The main entablature over
ground floor has a bracket cornice. The 2 main upper floors are articulated by
giant engaged Cornithian columns, doubled with pilasters to corner. In frieze
above sash capital large double consoles rise up to support bracket main cornice
which is broken forward over them. The parapet has an arcaded balustrade articulated
by shallow scroll dies with acroterion. Above the rounded corner rises a pilastraded
small drum with swags decorating the frieze; cornice with paterae crestings and
pointed coffered lead dome. The balustraded parapet dies are paired to corner at
base of drum, surmounted by ornate vases. The first floor windows are set in archi-
trave surrounds, the cornices over them forming the sills of the second floor windows.
These have flanking pilasters with stepped bases and incised ornament to necks; the
heads break up into the deep main frieze.


Listing NGR: SE1647733169

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.