This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7902 / 53°47'24"N
Longitude: -1.8523 / 1°51'8"W
OS Eastings: 409826
OS Northings: 432661
OS Grid: SE098326
Mapcode National: GBR HSHM.S2
Mapcode Global: WHC97.JZ5R
Entry Name: Kipping Barn
Listing Date: 26 April 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336790
Location: Bradford, BD13
Electoral Ward/Division: Thornton and Allerton
Built-Up Area: Thornton (Bradford)
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thornton St James
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 LOWER KIPPING LANE
(formerly listed under Lower Kipping)
SE 0932 38/153 26.4.74
Early to mid C17 large coursed gritstone barn with stone slate roof. Two storey
gable end to road with central squared jamb entrance (up steps) and small squared
surround window openings flanking and set above. Ventilation slits just above
ground level. On the east side, facing a stone paved yard, is a central full
height portal, 4 window range and small pentice at north end. The interior is
aisled, later partitions but 3 posts exposed. Shallow King post roof trusses.
The barn was used as a non-conformist meeting plan for the Thornton Independents
in the latter part of the C17 and a license was granted to John Hall, who owned
the barn and Kipping House, in 1678.
Listing NGR: SE0982632661
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings