This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7301 / 53°43'48"N
Longitude: -1.7705 / 1°46'13"W
OS Eastings: 415235
OS Northings: 425988
OS Grid: SE152259
Mapcode National: GBR JT29.GL
Mapcode Global: WHC9N.SH2T
Entry Name: The Old Manor House
Listing Date: 4 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133000
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336802
Location: Bradford, BD12
Electoral Ward/Division: Wyke
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wyke
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 LOWER WYKE LANE
The Old Manor House
SE 1526 66/120 4.9.52
SE 1525 68/120
Fine West Riding Hall, of a type more akin to the Halifax manor houses. The house
was built by the Empsall family, yeomen of Wyke for over three centuries. The
oldest part to the rear has the centre portion dated 1614 and was erected by
E Empsall. In 1694 the house was virtually doubled in size, towards the road,
by J A Empsall. Two storeys, irregular L plan, large coursed blocks of gritstone.
Stone slate roofs with saddlestones to gables, large kneelers to 1614 part;
decorated finials to gables of 1694 addition. Chamfered mullion windows in deep
splayed reveals with drip moulds over, 3, 5 and 6 and 7 lights to 1694 part.
Double gables to south front. Two light stair window retains original leaded
glazing and a round headed window dated 1687. Four centred arch doorway. Blocked
oval window above eastern doorway. External chimney stack with offsets to west
end. C17/C18 large corniced chimneys, one with round headed panels to shaft.
Interior retains exposed chamfered ceiling beads and joists. Oak stud partitions
to north side rooms on ground floor. Massive arched fireplace next to 1687 window.
On the first floor some stud partitioning still in situ. Massive collar truss roof
partly boxed in. In the early part of this century some careful restoration work
was carried out particularly to the eastern part of the house. (Ambler: "Old Halls
and Manor Houses of Yorkshire").
Listing NGR: SE1523525988
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings