History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

54, Little Horton Lane Bd5

A Grade II* Listed Building in Trident, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7891 / 53°47'20"N

Longitude: -1.7588 / 1°45'31"W

OS Eastings: 415989

OS Northings: 432553

OS Grid: SE159325

Mapcode National: GBR JHM.W9

Mapcode Global: WHC9G.Y1N2

Entry Name: 54, Little Horton Lane Bd5

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133017

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336753

Location: Trident, Bradford, BD5

County: Bradford

Civil Parish: Trident

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Horton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 LITTLE HORTON LANE BD5
(west side)

No 54
SE 1532 45/741
SE 1632 46/741

II*


2.
Circa 1850-60 a sophisticated asymmetrical villa design. Two storeys, finely
dressed sandstone "brick" with left hand break to 3 bay front, raised on low terrace.
Hipped stone slate roof with flat eaves on elongated modillion brackets; corniced
chimneys. Plinth and first floor plat band. The recessed part has 2 broad first
floor windows, sashes with horizontal glazing bars in shallow reveals; tripartite
ground floor window with risers to sill. The break has 3 narrow first floor windows
and plain canted bay on ground floor. Recessed entrance next to break with panelled
door. Adjoining the break on the south side is a large single storey wing, probably
built as a ballroom. The front projects slightly from the house and its centre is
opened up with a large Venetian window, the arch breaking up into the deep
entablature running below the full width bracketed pediment. Behind this front
is a spacious lofty room with ribbed and compartmented barrel vaulted ceiling,
decorated with husk and rinceaux garlands. On the south side the vault is cut into
by 2 round headed windows with concentric glazing pattern. The ribs of the vault
spring from a deeply moulded cornice, supported at intervals by large consoles,
carried round all 4 walls. The west wall has additional feature of bold pilaster
swags and ribbons whilst on the north wall is a heavy carved wood chimney piece
with mirror over-mantel and scrolled open pediment. The low terrace around the
house and ballroom, has a cast iron interlinked circle railing articulated by cornice
capped stone dies.


Listing NGR: SE1598932553

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.