This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7945 / 53°47'40"N
Longitude: -1.7529 / 1°45'10"W
OS Eastings: 416375
OS Northings: 433155
OS Grid: SE163331
Mapcode National: GBR JKK.4C
Mapcode Global: WHC99.1WKG
Entry Name: The National Westminster Bank
Listing Date: 9 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133063
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336668
Location: Bradford, BD1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 HUSTLERGATE BD1
SE 1633 SW 36/685 (The National Westminster Bank)
Includes No 24 Bank Street and Nos 8 and 10 Piece Hall Yard. Important corner site
with fronts to Bank Street and Piece Hall Yard. Built as the Bradford Commercial
Bank and completed to the designs of Andrews and Pepper in 1868. Elaborate Gothic
with mid C13 detail, complementing the Wool Exchange. Two-storeys and attics,
millstone grit ashlar with sandstone and polished granite dressings. The corner is
emphasised by a square 3-storey tower with a pierced, pinnacled, parapet and
surmounted by a steep truncated slate roof with large lucarne dormers and wrought
iron cresting. The windows and doors have pink or grey granite shaft colonettes,
the foliate capital mouldings continued as impost bands. Drip moulds on head stops.
The first floor windows are of 2-lights with quatrefoils piercing the tympani.
The first floor windows on the corner tower have applied crocketed gables and give
onto pierced stone balconies. Above the first floor is a corbelled pierced stone
parapet with sharply gabled dormers set behind. The banking hall has a corbelled
vaulted ceiling divided into panels decorated with Coats of Arms.
Listing NGR: SE1637533155
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings