This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7961 / 53°47'45"N
Longitude: -1.7563 / 1°45'22"W
OS Eastings: 416147
OS Northings: 433337
OS Grid: SE161333
Mapcode National: GBR JJJ.DR
Mapcode Global: WHC98.ZVT6
Entry Name: Rawson Hotel
Listing Date: 9 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133067
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336679
Location: Bradford, BD1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 JOHN STREET BD1
SE 1633 SW 36/690
1899, the surviving corner block of the old Rawson Market, started in 1871 by
Lockwood and Mawson and extended in 1899 by Hope and Jondine, architects of the
Technical College. Quadrant corner with Rawson Place. Gaisby Rock ashlar
elevations, one bay to Rawson Place, 3 to John Street. The corner is emphasised
by a 5-storey circular tower, the top stage consisting of a drum with 4 pairs
of Corinthian columns, the entablatures surmounted by urns and a finely balanced
masonry dome above with a cupola lantern. The tall 3-storey and attic flanking
elevations have giant Corinthian columns with block banding to base of shafts.
Shallow canted bay windows on first floor and large lunette window above segmental
portal entrance. Pedimented dormers in parapet with urns in line with columns below.
The windows are stone mullioned. Important corner site, listed in particular for
the contribution made by the tower to the townscape.
Listing NGR: SE1614733337
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings