History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Yorkshire Sports, Telegraph and Argus Building

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7927 / 53°47'33"N

Longitude: -1.7508 / 1°45'2"W

OS Eastings: 416516

OS Northings: 432962

OS Grid: SE165329

Mapcode National: GBR JKK.LZ

Mapcode Global: WHC99.2XLT

Entry Name: The Yorkshire Sports, Telegraph and Argus Building

Listing Date: 14 June 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133120

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336530

Location: Bradford, BD1

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 HALL INGS BD1

The Yorkshire Sports, Telegraph

and Argus Building
SE 1632 46/134 14.6.63

II


2.
The first Italian palazzo front in Bradford, a large home trade warehouse designed by
Andrews and Delanney 1851-53 for the drapery firm of Milligan and Forbes (both
partners served as mayors of Bradford). Five-storeys, ashlar sandstone elevation to
Hall Ings with strong horizontal emphasis provided by the horizontal grooving of
the ground floor and the moulded sill bands and balustraded stone balconies on the
first floor. Dentil enriched, deep modillion bracket eaves cornice, Chamfered
rusticated quoins. Pilaster framed groumd floor windows, flanking strips first floor,
with console brackets supporting broken entablatures with enriched friezes, the
cornices serving as broken forward sills to the second floor windows which have
archivolt arches surmounted by triangular bracketed pediments; very elongated shallow
consoles used as pilaster strips flanking square architrave surround top floor
windows. The rear elevation has similar details but is of 4-storeys only and due to
closer window spacing the decorative features are applied only to alternate windows.
Important site adjacent to St George's Hall.

Listing NGR: SE1651632962

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.