History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Riverside Mill to South of Esholt Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Baildon, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.852 / 53°51'7"N

Longitude: -1.7149 / 1°42'53"W

OS Eastings: 418852

OS Northings: 439564

OS Grid: SE188395

Mapcode National: GBR JRGW.JX

Mapcode Global: WHC93.MFLV

Entry Name: Riverside Mill to South of Esholt Hall

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336417

Location: Bradford, BD17

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Baildon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Yeadon St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Guiseley

Listing Text

1.
5111 ESHOLT ESTATE
Lower Esholt

Riverside Mill to south of Esholt

Hall
SE 1839 15/40E

II


2.
Records of a mill on this site antedate the building of the hall and associate it
with Esholt Priory, probably as a fulling mill. When the hall was built over the
remains of the Priory in 1706-7 it would appear that the mill was rebuilt as a single-
storey L plan structure against the bank and with a wing on 2 low arches over the
goit. The architectural dressing of doors and windows indicate that the building was
adapted as a feature of the park, the eastern block with its 3 rooms and fireplace
as a summer house or gazebo and the south-west wing (at present filled with rubble)
over the goit possibly serving as a bath house. The construction is of coursed
gritstone with rusticated ashlar quoins as on the hall. The eastern range of
"summer house" of 3 bays has a central doorway with massive rusticated surround and
large tripled keystone to lintel. The flanking bays have large circular openings
with raised ashlar surrounds punctuated by 4 keystones. Similar apertures are
pierced in the west wall of the south-west wing over the goit. Flat stone slabs
are used to roof the "summer house" as a terrace. Internally the 3 rooms are barrel
vaulted, one containing a plain but heavy chimneypiece. The floors are stone paved
and cobbled. This former "mill" is an important survival of an early garden
building with the added interest of its adaptation of the original mill building on
the site.

Listing NGR: SE1885239564

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.