History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and Presbytery

A Grade II Listed Building in Bowling and Barkerend, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7963 / 53°47'46"N

Longitude: -1.7433 / 1°44'35"W

OS Eastings: 417004

OS Northings: 433366

OS Grid: SE170333

Mapcode National: GBR JMJ.5P

Mapcode Global: WHC99.6V31

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and Presbytery

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133180

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336386

Location: Bradford, BD1

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Bowling and Barkerend

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bradford St Clement

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 EAST PARADE BD1
(east side)

Church of St Mary and Presbytery
SE 1733 35/467
SE 1633 SE 37/467

II


2.
Roman Catholic. 1874-76. Edward Simpson architect. A large, towerless, Gothic
church of sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. Simplified and Early English
details. Low shallow buttressed aisles, tall clerestory where the dominant feature
of the design occurs in the massive solid butresses rising on a slight curve from
the aisle roofs and dividing the clerestory lights in pairs. Lofty slate roof
running through over apsidal chancel. Gabled Lady Chapel projects towards street
line and the 3-storey gabled presbytery is built on to the east end. A tower was
intended but never executed. The height of the clerestory and the chancel arch
give a strong vertical emphasis to the interior, enhanced by the lightness of the
scissor braced roof trusses. The nave piers have shafts of Irish marble and the
whole is roughly pointed, particularly in the sanctuary with its gilded reredos.
Corbelled on angel brackets at the spring of the nave arcades are statues of the
saints with crocketed canopies above. Plain glass, apart from chancel. St Mary's
was built as the Roman Catholic Mother Church of Bradford, principally due to the
efforts of Canon John Motler, parish priest 1865-81. Much of the construction was
carried out by the parishioners themselves.


Listing NGR: SE1700433366

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.