History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4, Currer Street

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7945 / 53°47'40"N

Longitude: -1.7473 / 1°44'50"W

OS Eastings: 416745

OS Northings: 433157

OS Grid: SE167331

Mapcode National: GBR JLK.BC

Mapcode Global: WHC99.4W7G

Entry Name: 4, Currer Street

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133206

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336351

Location: Bradford, BD1

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

SE 1633 SE 37/441
5111


CURRER STREET BD1
(south side)
No 4


GV
II


Part of the same block as the Law Russell home trade warehouse at 63 Vicar Lane.
Part of the precinct known as "Little Germany". No 4 is one of Eli Milnes's large
warehouse cum office palazzo designs built in 1860 and extended 1867, with fronts
to Field Street and Vicar Lane. Four-storeys and 3-storeys and basement due to
sloping site. Dressed sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. Bowed inset
corner with Field Street. Rusticated quoin pilasters. Vermiculated courses to
ground floor - basement rustication, but plain to Field Street. Plat bands,
bracketed sill bands, bed mould to frieze with fielded panels and modillion
brackets to projecting moulded eaves cornice. Round arched first floor windows in
eared flat surrounds, apron panels flanked by consoles. Radial glazing bars
intact to Field Street and Vicar Lane. The entrance is set on corner with Field
Street: deeply vermiculated surround; plain ashlar impost band carried in over
doorhead; semi-circular fanlight, alternately vermiculated voussoirs to arch and
carved spandrels. Tripartite windows above doorway, that on first floor with
segmental pediment on consoles. Warehouse waggon archway with ornate iron gates at
end of Field Street elevation.


Listing NGR: SE1674533157

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.