History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Midland Bank

A Grade II* Listed Building in City, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.795 / 53°47'41"N

Longitude: -1.7533 / 1°45'12"W

OS Eastings: 416345

OS Northings: 433210

OS Grid: SE163332

Mapcode National: GBR JKK.15

Mapcode Global: WHC99.1WC3

Entry Name: Midland Bank

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133211

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336366

Location: Bradford, BD1

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 DARLEY STREET BDl
(east side)

No 2

SE 1633 SW 36/452 (Midland Bank)

II*


2.
Includes No 34 Kirkgate. Corner site with Kirkgate. Built in 1858 for the Bradford
Banking Company; designed by Andrews and Delanney, this is the first of the prestige
banking premises in Bradford. Boldly modelled Italianate elevations of high quality
stone masonry. The ground floor has vermiculated banding to ashlar with recessed
joints, rising up to moulded impost string which creates the effect of piers between
the windows, the arches of which have alternately vermiculated voussoirs. A
bracketed cornice runs across the ground floor and around the curved corner and is
surmounted by an applied parapet, with balustrading in front of the first floor
Windows, and projecting dies bearing giant engaged Corinthian columns articulating
the first floor and doubled flanking the curved corner. The elevation is crowned
by a bold cornice and frieze, breaking in line with the columns, and a balustraded
parapet articulated by dies. The ground floor windows are a modified Serlian type
contained within the main rusticated arches. The main doorway on the corner is
treated in a similar fashion but with a blind tympanum ornamental with a carved
shield. The first floor windows to Kirkgate have flanking pilasters and arched
segmental pediments. Those to corner and on Darley Street have flanking lights,
the corner one with engaged columns instead of pilasters. At a later date a second
floor was inserted with windows breaking through the segmental pediments. The last
2 bays on Darley Street are a matching extension of the same date as the latter
alteration. The banking hall has a very fine enriched plaster compartmented ceiling
carried on marble shafted gilded Corinthian columns, with pilasters to the walls.


Listing NGR: SE1635233219

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.