History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Towers

A Grade II Listed Building in Clayton, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7778 / 53°46'39"N

Longitude: -1.8373 / 1°50'14"W

OS Eastings: 410818

OS Northings: 431283

OS Grid: SE108312

Mapcode National: GBR HSMR.0H

Mapcode Global: WHC9F.R98Q

Entry Name: The Towers

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133257

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336186

Location: Clayton, Bradford, BD14

County: Bradford

Civil Parish: Clayton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Clayton St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Thornton

Listing Text

1.
5111 BROW LANE
Clayton/Yews Green BD14

The Towers
SE 1031 48/312

II


2.
Circa 1880-90. The Towers was built and designed by Julius Whitehead, the founder
of Clayton Fireclay Works, as his own residence. A substantial 2-storey rectangular
house on a prominent hillside dominating the works. Conventional fenestration but
the materials and decorative details proclaim Whitehead's products. The house is
built of double size, brown-red salt-glazed bricks with leaf decorated fireclay
plat bands and frieze below a pot bellied balustraded parapet. At each corner are
crenellated salt glaze brick and square turrets. The three window entrance front
has 2 light ground floor windows with similar decorated plaques to those on Ceramic
House but the mullions also have fireclay leaf decoration. To the right of the
doorway is a projecting rectangular bay with a 2 light window; alternate white
bricks to frieze, balustraded parapet with miniature turrets complementing those on
the roof. Fireclay leaf pattern sill band. Coloured glass to upper part of sashes.
The return garden front is of 4 windows with similar details and decoration. The
interior is unaltered with fireclay and tiles being used frequently in the decoration.
The drawing room fireplace is an early example of an underdrawn type with a suspended
glazed tile hood. The staircase has salt glazed treads the sides having fruit and
leaf decoration. About the house and grounds are numerous examples of decorative
salt glazed wares produced by the firm including urns, rustic seats and reclining
lions. A particularly unusual house in an otherwise stone built area.


Listing NGR: SE1081831283

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.